Last Visited: Fall 2011
Things to do here: Pleasant Mountain is a lovely hiking spot in Southern Maine that
has awesome views from it’s summit, especially in the autumn. It is the largest mountain in Southern Maine and Loon Echo Land Trust has preserved nearly 2,000 acres for recreational use. Among the many activities that are allowed on this wonderful piece of property include the following:
- Hiking: Pleasant Mountain has a extensive trail network with over 10 miles of trails that give you multiple routes to the summit.
Snowmobiling: Snowmobiles are allowed on the Fire Wardens Trail only. All other motorized vehicles are prohibited on the reservation.
- Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding: Pleasant Mountain is also home to a ski resort; Shawnee Peak. For more information including a trail map and ski conditions please go the resort’s website.
- Swimming: Swimming is allowed at nearby Moose Lake and Shawnee Peak Ski Area maintains a swimming area for summer use.
- Hunting: Hunting is permitted on Loon Echo Land Trust property in season and with a Maine State License. Hunting isn’t allowed on the private property adjoining the property without express permission of the landowners.
- Mountain Biking: I saw nothing on my visit there that mountain biking is banned, however not all trails are ideal for it as many of them are rocky winding paths in spots. The Fire Wardens trail is probably your best best to bike to the summit.
- Birdwatching: The diverse habitat at Pleasant Mountain is home to many bird species and a great place to bring a pair of binoculars and watch them!
- Dog Friendly: Dogs are permitted at Pleasant Mountain and is a very popular location to bring them along on a hike, however the owners of the reservation requests that you be careful to keep your dog under control.
- Camping: Camping isn’t permitted on any of the Loon Echo Land Trust Property or the land owned by the state of Maine or the private landowners. However, Shawnee Peak maintains a yurt that can be reserved for a unique camping experience. For more information please go to Shawnee Peak’s Website.
Favorite Activities: Pleasant Mountain is a great place to hike and views at the top are amazing. Combined with the amazing foliage in Northern New England if you time it right and you have the ingredients for a memorable day or weekend.
Facilities, Fees and other information: There aren’t any facilities beyond what is open at the ski resort base area (which isn’t on the hiking trail network). Parking and use is free for day visitors. The Shawnee Peak Resort base area has complete facilities including lodging.
How to get here: Shawnee Peak is located in Bridgton and Denmark, Maine. For directions please go the Loon Echo Land Trust’s Pleasant Mountain page. If you’re using a GPS device use the address for Shawnee Peak Ski Area to get you in the right neighborhood:
119 Mountain Road
Bridgton, ME 04009
Want to check out more great spots to hike and maybe enjoy some fall colors? Sign up for my mailing list and you’ll get to hear about lots of great places: