Great Brook Farm State Park is a working dairy farm in Carlisle that is a great place for
lots of activities year-round, especially family-friendly ones. In the winter the park transforms into a maintained cross-country skiing park with enough snow. Great Brook Farm is a wonderful place to enjoy year round and available activities include the summer:
- Hiking – Great Brook Farm boasts a large network of trails across the park.
- Horseback Riding – Great Brook Farm is a popular spot for horseback riding with a large portion of their trail network open for horseback riding.
- Farm Animal Area – The working dairy farm includes an area with farm animals that you can buy food for and feed and pet.
- Smart Barn and detailed farm tour – The dairy farm uses a lot of advanced technology and tours are available to show off the technology in use and go into more details about the workings of the farm.
- Ice Cream Stand (seasonal) – During the warmer months milk from cows at Great Brook Farm is used to make homemade ice cream that is sold on property.
- Cross-Country Skiing (in-season and conditions permitting) – Great Brook Farm has a groomed network of trails in the winter along with equipment for rent at a cross-
country ski center.
- Group Area – Great Brook Farm has a large open field area and small shaded pavilion area that can be used by small groups – you should contact the park first to see if a special reservation or permit is needed.
- Fishing Pond – There is a small pond near the farm area and ice cream stand that you can fish in and is popular with families with smaller children for finding frogs and tadpoles.
- Canoe Launch – There is a canoe launch in the park and in Thanksgiving Ground Conservation Land – an adjoining piece of conversation land just over the town line in Chelmsford.
Great Brook Farm has full facilities including handicap-accessible restrooms, an ice cream and snack stand, ski touring center and interpretive center. For more information about the park including a map check out the Massachusetts DCR website for the park – check out the winter or summer trail maps – depending on the season there are different rules for trail use.
Great Brook Farm is located primarily in Carlisle on the Chelmsford town line. The ice cream stand, ski touring center and park headquarters are located on Lowell Road or right off it on North Road. North Road turns into Concord Road in Chelmsford and can be accessed from Route 4. The closest highway is Route 3 and exit 27 for Treble Cove Road is the easiest exit to get to Great Brook farm. Take Treble Cove Road west (right from the off ramp) from Route 3 and, right after passing the light for Route 4, turn right on West St. West Street turns into North St and will take you right into the heart of Great Brook Farm state park. If you’re using a GPS device the following address and coordinates should put you right into the heart of the park:
984 Lowell St.
Carlisle, MA 01741