Last Visited: April 20, 2012
What do to here: Bird park is a local gem with lots of things to do. It’s a great place to bring a family and there is lots of open field space that begs to be enjoyed.
- Willow Pond: Bird park is full of ducks and geese and the pond here is where many of them congregate. It’s a great place to feed them with some kids in tow
- Tennis Courts: Bird park has 4 tennis courts.
- Basketball Courts:Bird park has one basketball court
- Playground and Swing Sets:Bird park has a great children’s area with a playground and swing set
- Forest Walks and Paths: Bird Park has a extensive network of trails that go through the open fields and the woods on the property.
- Dog Friendly: Bird Park is dog friendly and many people take their pets there. There are also bags and receptacles for cleaning up after your dog spread throughout the park at most of the major entrances.
- Picnic Areas: The many wide open fields at Bird Park make for great picnic areas and there are also some picnic tables in the park for those who don’t feel like sitting on the grass.
- Cross Country Skiing: The network of paths at Bird Park are ideal for cross country skiing when there is enough snow on the ground.
- Athletic Fields: There is an complex of athletic fields that abuts the park on it’s western side.
- Outdoor theater and performance area: Bird Park has an outdoor theater and performance area where events like Shakespeare in the park is held
Favorite Activities: Bird park’s walking trails are a personal favorite, especially over lunch on a lovely day over work. The swingset is also wonderful and the tennis and basketball courts are also great picks. If you have kids the playground area is great and the wide open fields can keep them busy, especially if you bring a Frisbee or something else to play with.
How to get there: There are several spots you can park at Bird Park. The main lot is on Polley Lane in Walpole. Union Congregational Church at 55 Rhoades Avenue in Walpole also allows parking in their lot on the parks northeastern side as long as there isn’t anything going on at the church. Coming from the North take exit 10 off I-95 (Coney St.) and take a right off the ramp. Keep going until you get the to the end of Coney St and there are several parking areas off Pleasant St when you get there. From the south take exit 9 for US Route 1 North and then take a left on Coney St. (the next light after the Wal-Mart and the light right before the Walpole Mall). For GPS devices the following addresses will lead you to Bird Park:
Union Congregational Church (Parking Lot)
55 Rhoades Ave.
Walpole, MA 02032
Main Parking Lot
Facilities, Fees and Other Information: There are no facilities in Bird Park so plan on bringing in any food or drinks you might want. There are several restaurants on Washington St. in Walpole just outside Bird park that have facilities.
Looking for more great places to visit? Join my mailing list!